Monday 29 July 2019

Meghan's British Vogue: An Issue Filled With "Positivity, Kindness, Humour and Inclusivity"

The Duchess of Sussex's role as guest-editor for the September issue of British Vogue was revealed last night with a look at the cover featuring fifteen inspiring 'Forces for Change' and information on what we could expect from the historic issue. Today, we were treated to an array of insights and  several pieces which will take centre stage in the magazine which will be available on Friday. This evening, British Vogue shared a terrific video offering a look at the photoshoots, the cover stars sharing their hopes for positive change, and footage of Meghan with editor-in-chief Edward Enninful.


Those who followed Meghan's career before she became a member of the Royal family, and particularly those who read her lifestyle website the Tig, have mentioned they hoped to hear her distinctive voice again. The Duchess is an immensely talented writer; her words flow seamlessly and have a conversational and personable feel to them. Meghan writes in a manner akin to speaking to an old friend. For a woman who has had millions of column inches devoted to her, perhaps my favourite part of the project was hearing her voice, in her own words, again. Not twisted to suit a media narrative nor to accommodate a skewed perception of her. It speaks to her resilience, determination and above all sense of duty to her role, that she has somehow managed to rise above the ceaseless negativity, put her head down and focus on the work. This issue of Vogue has Meghan's stamp all over it, care taken in each of the pages, with her own words featured.


In her guest-editor's letter Meghan introduces the issue by recalling a cold London day in January when she sat down with editor Edward Enninful over a cup of tea to discuss her patronage Smart Works and the possibility of Vogue featuring the charity which empowers women to return to the workplace, often overcoming significant obstacles to do so. Meghan revealed: "What evolved over the next hour was a promising pow wow of two like-minded thinkers who have much in common, including our love of writing. Within hours of our meeting's end, we were already texting one another – philosophising about how to communicate this shared understanding and the lens through which we see the world, how to pivot from a perspective of frustration to one of optimism."

More from British Vogue:

'So I asked the question. Actually, I typed and deleted the question several times until I built up the courage to ask the question in question.
“Edward… instead of doing the cover, would you be open to me guest editing your September issue?”
(Mind you, I know how important the September issue is for the fashion industry. I realise the reach, and I see the opportunity to be a part of fashion’s push for something greater, kinder, more impactful. But I am also a little nervous to be boldly asking the editor-in-chief, whom I’d only just met, to take a chance on me.)
I sent the text.
 The ellipsis… the “dot dot dot” that inspires the greatest practice of patience in this digital era.
And then it appeared, EE’s reply: “Yes! I would love for you to be my guest editor.”
Sitting on my sofa at home, two dogs nestled across me, I quietly celebrated when the words appeared on my screen.'

And just like that, a seven-month process of collaboration was born. "Within a week, Edward and I were having our regular meetings – discussing goals, ideas, who would feature on the cover, all while I was undergoing a crash course in editorial lingo." The Duchess quickly learned as much as she could to "keep up" with seasoned professionals. The Duchess continued:

'I had read a book many moons ago called The Four-Chambered Heart, by Anaïs Nin, which had a quote that has always resonated with me: “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” For this issue, I imagined, why would we swim in the shallow end of the pool when we could go to the deep end? A metaphor for life, as well as for this issue. Let’s be braver. Let’s go a bit deeper.
That’s what Edward and I have aimed to achieve. An issue of both substance and levity. It is, after all, the September issue of British Vogue, and an opportunity to further diversify what that typically represents. Throughout these pages you’ll find Commonwealth designers, ethical and sustainable brands, as well as features with designers not about clothes but about heritage, history and heirloom.'

Meghan added that the host of familiar faces featured as are those she hopes "you'll get to know a bit better, a bit more deeply even", including the women of Luminary Bakery. The non-profit social enterprise supports women on a journey to employability and entrepreneurship by equipping them with skills. They offer courses, work experience and paid employment within the bakery to empower women to build their careers. The ladies from the bakery said they were "honoured" to be chosen by the Duchess.


Tessa Clarke, founder of food-sharing app OLIO, whom Meghan met with last year, is also featured in the issue.


Have you heard of OLIO? More on their work:

'OLIO connects neighbours with each other and with local businesses so surplus food can be shared, not thrown away. This could be food nearing its sell-by date in local stores, spare home-grown vegetables, bread from your baker, or the groceries in your fridge when you go away. For your convenience, OLIO can also be used for non-food household items too.
OLIO is super easy! To make an item available, simply open the app, add a photo, description, and when and where the item is available for pick-up.
To access items, simply browse the listings available near you, request whatever takes your fancy and arrange a pick-up via private messaging.
Here at OLIO we believe that small actions can lead to big change. Collectively – one rescued cupcake, carrot or bottle of lotion at a time – we can build a more sustainable future where our most precious resources are shared, not thrown away. 

The overall sentiment Meghan hopes the reader finds in the issue is one of "positivity, kindness, humour and inclusivity". She adds that she feels confident her "thumbprint" will be felt within the pages, and more than anything she hopes the reader will feel the power of the collective "diverse portraiture of women of varying age, colour, creed, nationality and life experience, and of unquestionable inspiration".


The Duchess added: "I was about five months pregnant when this process began, and by the time you hold this issue in your hands, my husband and I will be holding our three-month-old baby boy in ours. It’s a very special time for me personally, on so many levels; working with Edward and his team, both during my pregnancy and my maternity leave, has played no small part in that joy – it has been a privilege to be welcomed and supported by this amazing team."


In his letter for the issue Edward Enniful recalled meeting Meghan for the first time:

'I headed to meet the Duchess for tea in central London. She was entering the final months of her pregnancy and was utterly radiant in a navy tailored coat. She was also full of ideas. What struck me most was her remarkable immediacy. You have all these preconceptions about what a Duchess will be like, but Her Royal Highness simply gave me a hug and said: “I’m Meghan.” We made an instant connection – straightaway, our perspectives on work made us feel so naturally synced – and we started discussing her projects with Smart Works and how the magazine might be able to support them. I left feeling inspired and ready to help in any way that I could.
On a personal note, I can’t overstate how much it meant to me to see The Duke of Sussex marry this brilliant, bi-racial, American powerhouse. I simply never imagined that, in my lifetime, someone of my colour would – or could – enter the highest echelons of our Royal Family.' 

An interview with Edward: "It took me all of one second to say yes."


Meghan said she was "humbled" and "deeply honoured" Edward Eninnful entrusted her with this role and thanked the reader for joining the journey.

In formulating the content of the Forces for Change issue, I knew that I wanted to create a magazine that would speak not just to where we are, but to where we hope to be. In doing so, I knew we needed to both open and close strong. Like a beautiful meal: the first bite sets the tone and the final spoonful leaves you satiated, smiling, and sometimes (if you’re dining under the direction of a forward-thinking chef) even inspired. - HRH The Duchess of Sussex

When it came to choosing someone for Vogue's Q&A feature which closes the magazine, often a lighthearted and brief diversion with fascinating nuggets, Meghan had two thoughts on her mind. "My first thought was that it needed to be someone kind, inspirational, motivating, funny, with gravitas and as much depth as levity. My second thought: it needed to be Michelle Obama. So, over a casual lunch of chicken tacos and my ever-burgeoning bump, I asked Michelle if she would help me with this secret project." Michelle "generously" said yes and quickly got back to Meghan with "thoughtful, reflective and beautifully curated" answers which left the Duchess speechless. Recalling listening to the "magical" former First Lady in London last year during a talk for her book Becoming, Meghan recalled: "I found that I could personally relate to what she was sharing – and that the young British woman sitting a few seats away from me, laughing heartily and nodding in agreement, must have felt the same way." The result: a stirring, concise interview with Michelle discussing motherhood, advice for her children, and her charitable initiatives and the advice she would give her younger self.


Michelle's kind words for Harry and Meghan are nothing short of beautiful. Click here to read the full piece:

"When Malia and Sasha were newborns, Barack and I could lose hours just watching them sleep. We loved to listen to the little sounds they’d make – especially the way they cooed when they were deep into dreaming. Don’t get me wrong, early parenthood is exhausting. I’m sure you know a thing or two about that these days. But there is something so magical about having a baby in the house. Time expands and contracts; each moment holds its own little eternity. I’m so excited for you and Harry to experience that, Meghan. Savour it all."

In the new video, Meghan wore an Everlane jumpsuit (many thanks to Meghan's Mirror).


The $120 Japanese Go Weave Jumpsuit is described as: "Your one-and-done outfit—fit for any occasion. This versatile jumpsuit has an elegant double-V neckline neck, easy wide legs, and a removable tie belt to create a more feminine silhouette. Made of our drapey, wrinkle-resistant Japanese GoWeave fabric that’s perfect for warm weather and travel." It's available in several colours on Everlane's website.


The issue is very much a labour of love for all involved. Keir Simmons revealed Meghan has put an enormous amount of time into the project throughout the year and over the past fortnight has worked on it "every single day".

When you only know someone by their public persona, all too often you find yourself disappointed by the reality. But, once in a while, someone comes along who exceeds all of your expectations. Let me say this for The Duchess of Sussex: she is the real deal – and an ultimate force for change. - Edward Enninful 

Visit British Vogue to read Meghan's guest-editor's letter and much more by clicking here.

For those outside the UK, Newsstand.co.uk delivers single issue magazines worldwide. There's an option to order the 'Next Issue' (under the current issue option). The next issue is Meghan's September magazine. For those in the US, several readers mentioned Barnes & Nobles carry British Vogue. 

54 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Thank you, Charlotte for the way you showcase the work of this incredible woman and sharing it with all of us. So looking forward to getting my copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philly, I appreciate your comment :)

      Delete
  2. I've read most of what's a available and its captivating! They speak of the Duchess's warmth and the ease of her writing...so hard not to keep reading. I would love to get my hands on a copy to see the Duchess's work in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very excited to read it HJChristy :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Charlotte, I can’t thank you enough for your wonderful, positive and inspiring coverage of the Duchess of Sussex. So often the news reports of the Duchess focus on the negative and when negative can’t be found, it is created. But you dear Charlotte have kept your posts positive and upbeat and I find that positively inspiring! I realize that you’ve certainly faced overwhelming odds in the last year but you have not bowed to the pressure but instead have continued to write with charm and grace. If I could I would nominate you as one of the 15 inspiring women. But know that when you look in that little mirror on the cover, you are a woman who is admired by many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your heartfelt and kind comment, Lauri. It's an incredibly polarising time in royal watching. I hope we can eventually reach a place where work and the efforts of the royals in their roles receive deserved credit.

      This issue of Vogue is packed with substance. Aside from the women on the cover, there are businesses like Luminary Bakery highlighted, a feature on Smart Works, Commonwealth designers included, and so much more. There will be a ripple effect for each woman included due to the prestige of the publication and I cannot see how that's anything but positive.

      Delete
    2. Hear! Hear! Thank you, Lauri ☺️

      Delete
    3. I bet this helps each business to grow and receive so much more support from this one issue

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much, Charlotte. It's so wonderful that you use your many talents to showcase Meghan's fabulous work.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great project and I love reading the warm words about Meghan Then I accidentally come across the critical statements and just wonder, who are these people who criticize her? Why are they so fascinated in following her and criticizing her every step? And how sad that they refuse to see the loving waves of hope she spreads out there

    Maybe it's two different worlds colliding but I want to be in Meghan's world!

    Thank you Charlotte for being someone we can count on and for providing such interesting, accurate, and heart-warming information. Always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison in US. Yes, I would choose to be in Meghan’s world too as it seems to encompass love, hope, work ethic and passion. I choose those values and emotions and utterly reject hate and bile. I feel sad for those who appear to embrace the latter. I can’t imagine how dispiriting it would be to live life that way.

      Delete
    2. Becca H in Colorado30 July 2019 at 23:09

      Well said, Allison. How anyone can ignore the good Meghan is doing in this world is beyond me. I want to be on Meghan's side! The right side of history.

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard a hard copy magazine in years, let alone British Vogue or even Vogue. I will have to make an exception in this case. I'm looking forward to it and hope I can find it in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is making me so emotional on a personal level, as a mixed race woman in the UK. It seems that every day something is happening that is so negative and disheartening, with racism rearing its ugly head at every turn. Seeing these positive words from my Duchess makes me feel so grateful that she is in the royal family - finally I have someone who I feel represents me too. There are tears streaming down my face reading these words. Thank you for the precis of this issue - I am counting the hours until I can buy a copy or two or three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I am a woman of Caucasian heritage, I had the same emotional reaction as you, Granada. If I consider only the strands of my DNA, my Duchess does not necessarily represent me in the same way that she resonates for you. However, my Duchess represents all that is beautiful and inclusive and affirming about all of us who abhor everything that is negative and disheartening in this pivotal time in history.

      Delete
  8. Susan In Florida30 July 2019 at 02:15

    Random thoughts : I’m happy she kept it a secret for seven months. I hope some bookstores in the US will be selling British Vogue. I’m glad she got a chance to speak in her own voice, it’s not easy in Royal life. I bet the Queen is proud. And THANK YOU Charlotte ! 🌹❤️ for creating this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing video, blog post, and update. I am inspired to see the Duchess be a true agent of change. She is using her voice and position to do amazing things. Thank you Charlotte for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What happened, charlotte? It looks like some comments have gone missing. What a mess, and all because Meghan is guest editing vogue this year. Kate had the September issue and did what she wanted. She also guest edited Huffington post. So why the big to do when Meghan does? I don't understand it. Appreciate each person for who they are. Kate is true to herself, and so is meghan. Let each of them be.

    I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I wish people could act like adults. Lauri is right. You deserve a medal for dealing with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's appalling Bluhare. There is no other member of the royal family receiving constant criticism for working hard.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for continuing to make this point, Charlotte. It cannot be said often enough.

      Delete
    3. I just ordered from the newsstand link posted above. I had to use Paypal since the required fields for a US credit card don’t match the usual information stateside. I hope it arrives, despite having no field to enter my state. The total including shipping to the East Coast was US$13

      Delete
  11. While I am so proud of Meghan for the work she is doing and for the woman, spouse, and mother she is, I am appalled and distressed by the constant barrage of hateful and negative press she continues to receive in the UK. The racism, sexism, misogyny, and anti-Americanism is rampant in the UK press and within certain groups on social media. At this point, I don't think it will ever stop and that distresses me even more. I am disgusted by so many royal reporters and royal commentators who take every opportunity to make snide remarks towards Meghan in their articles. I am disgusted by editors of those papers who want the headlines to blame Meghan for as much as possible. And I'm sick and tired of the hearing royal reporters make this excuse: "I have no control over the headlines, so don't get angry with me." While they may not choose the headlines, these royal reporters are complicit in the racist, sexist, and anti-American messages their papers are advocating, because they don't stand up for what is right and ethical and true. There are very few royal reporters and commentators I trust anymore (I could count them on one hand), and even the ones I trust find it very difficult to admit that the overwhelming majority of the UK press is treating Meghan abominably. There are constant digs at her, lies and fabricated stories, snobbish remarks, and racist jabs (implicit and explicit). I have had all I can take of the British press and I'm at my wit's end with the social media factions who commit the same offenses.
    Not one of us is born racist, sexist, prejudiced, or with biases against others. Those are learned beliefs, whether from parents/family or the surrounding environment and culture. And because they are learned, they can also be unlearned. And the best way to do that is by looking in a mirror and choosing to be kind, just, compassionate, empathetic, and ethical people; to listen to others and learn from others and to open our minds and hearts. There are so many people who are deeply entrenched in their tribalism and "us versus them" mentality, and this feeds the racism, sexism, xenophobia, and misogyny they espouse. There are so many people who don't care about justice, equality, fairness, and truth. If this were not true, people would not choose to read articles that are loaded with fabrications, lies, racism, sexism, etc. If this were not true, people would not use social media as a platform to bully and degrade others.
    Far too many people choose to follow their worst instincts over the better angels of their nature. I don't know the answer to this massive challenge, but I do know that we cannot be silent against the sound and fury of hate, racism, sexism, xenophobia, misogyny, etc. We have to stand up to it and stand with those who are being hurt by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in America, it is disheartening to read so much negativity media towards the Duchess of Sussex. She has a strong and smart personality like Hillary Clinton, and she is not going to stay home, bake cookies, and keep quiet. Are British men that antiquated? Thanks for the wonderful blog, Charlotte. Parthenia

      Delete
    2. I don’t see anything other than a huge anti-Meghan bias, probably with a bit of under-the-radar racism. I am not an American and I do not see anti-americanism. I am a woman and I don’t see it as anti-feminism, the other women of the royal family don’t get anything like the negativity that is thrown at Meghan. It just seems to be personal and I cannot understand it.
      I am not a hugely committed royalist and I only follow two royal bloggers. The other is an American, I used to enjoy her honest and opinionated view of the brf, one member in particular. I now feel that she is so anti-Meghan that I have to stop reading her.
      This blog is factual and positive, we are all human and imperfect, and this writer sees the good in everybody concerned🙂.
      I am looking forward to reading the magazine.

      Delete
    3. Right on, Sarah from NC.

      Oh Charlotte what an excellent post! So excited for this issue! Kudos to Meghan for her amazing drive to do and share! Such a treat.
      -op

      Delete
    4. Hurray! I stand with you.

      Delete
  12. Nicole from france30 July 2019 at 13:40

    I can’t say how wonderful it is , especially in those times , to read a clever and enthusiastic text such as yours , Charlotte, about a person who is also clever , enthousiastic , and with a large background such as Meghan’s. I remember that, during Meghan’s pregnancy , one of us said certainly Meghan could not just rest and do nothing , so ... that’s what she was working at ! I just ordered two copies of Vogue, one for me and one for a friend, positive words and thoughts are never to be missed !! I recently noticed something about the way Meghan’s and other Royals actions are described by their PR , usually the Royals visit a place , an organisation or what ever , to « learn » about what is done , while Meghan actually does a work and produces something , usually concerning the power of women . This is a new way for a Royal person , that is possibly why haters speak so loud .... but things change , we all have to accept it , and make the most with it , and no doubt we , women , are in the first row to appreciate Meghan’s action . Not saying that other Royal women actions are not good, of course ! It is just another way of doing , both are good , and complementary !
    Thank you again Charlotte, and also for’the « Books to read » post some days ago ! I hope you can get some holidays , you deserve it , and Mr Charlotte too !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How inspiring is this? beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Charlotte. I read all these articles and watched the videos online but it was so lovely to read the way you put it together in your post. I want to thank you and hopefully give you some encouragement to keep going as you are. A lot of things going on bring tears to my eyes but as per my believe 'with hardship comes ease'. All the hate and racism will soon be followed by ease for M. irrespective of what the haters want they will be dragged kicking and screaming to a new era where we treat one another and the world at large with kindness and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much Charlotte for being so positive. The negative press in the UK is so appalling but I believe our current world is allowing people to bring our the worst in their nature. It's obvious that negative sells more than positive and it's really all about the money.
    Meghan shows her best at all times and radiates a positive nature that is fighting against these prejudices around the world. She is a true roll model. I'm so glad you have taken a stand as well against the people who seem to hate everything positive that she does.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a white person in the US. I was blonde (not naturally now) and am blue-eyed. Very pale skin. The US and Europe will be more than 50% nonwhite by 2050. It's time for people to get over this Western-centric philosophy. China had the most magnificent civilization 6000 years ago while Europeans were barely crawling. :) I saw the video here and noticed how many of the women were truly physically beautiful as well as mentally beautiful. I won't be alive in the latter half of this century but look forward to a time when there are enough intermarriages so that the whole world is "nonwhite." People need to embrace differences. Meghan is physically beautiful BECAUSE her mom is African American, not DESPITE it. I guess our only consolation is that her husband adores her, her new family loves her, she has the best set of friends I can imagine, everyone who meets her is blown away by her realness and kindness -- the ugly words really just reveal what the speakers are all about.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A few points:
    1. I love that Gucci dress that Meghan wore in the photograph released. I hope we get to see the full length version on her at a different engagement!
    2. As an experienced editor, I enjoy reading what Meghan writes. She has a beautifully descriptive writing style that seems almost personal to the reader. Her prose is artistically composed, and I enjoyed reading her Tig blog posts as well.
    3. I am a bit confused as to this point: Aren't royals supposed to be (at least in public) apolitical? This is what I have always been told. But these are some rather politically controversial positions that Meghan is taking by highlighting certain women and their causes. This last point is not meant to be read in a derogatory way -- I merely seek to understand what this is about, and who better to discuss this with than a welcoming community of veteran royal watchers?
    Looking forward to reading your responses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee,

      I appreciate your thoughtfulness and wanted to offer my perspective about the "political" question. As one of the few royal reporters (Omid Scobie) I trust wrote on Twitter this morning, "issues such as disability discrimination, gender equality, female empowerment, mental health care, universal education, social justice, etc are not about politics or the left and right. They are simply about people respecting each other and basic human rights." I wholeheartedly agree with him. These are human rights issues and they should require support from all people.
      One of the things I admire most about the US as a republic is that the country is about the ascent to an idea - that all are created equal and are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights. While we did not apply that fully in 1776 and have not applied it fully now, it is that journey toward a more perfect union that is the story of the country. We get it right and move toward those goals of equality and basic human rights for all people when we open our arms, hearts, and minds to others instead of clenching our fists and closing our hearts and minds against others just because they are different from us. Meghan is supporting the causes and issues that define our basic humanity as people on this planet. Our global community should join her.

      Delete
    2. I think the apolitical thing has been a bit exaggerated over the years. None of them are opinion-less people and they quite often share their opinions. Often on controversial topics. Prince Charles regularly speaks on environmental causes and green initiates, and these are often overlapped with political priorities. Even William and Kate advocating so strongly for mental health initiatives could be seen as political if it’s read as supporting the government directing resources to certain priorities. I don’t think Meghan is doing anything different. Omid is correct these are human rights priorities.

      My understanding with the Royal family and politics is that they do not vote or openly support a specific candidate or party, however constitutionally this restriction technically only applies the monarch. The rest don’t as a matter of practice.

      Delete
    3. Well said Anon 21:06.

      Delete
    4. Actually William and Kate's mental health initiatives in the U.S. would be seen as very political because many medical insurances here don't cover mental health and/or give very limited coverage.

      Delete
  18. In the current trend to "bash" Meghan, she is now being criticized for the people she left off her list of 15. It has been strongly suggested that Her Majesty the Queen should be present. I would like to remind people and the media, that this is MEGHAN'S list. It is not your list, it is not mine, it is HERS. So even though people may object to some of the names on Meghan's list and bemoan those left off, Meghan has a right to her opinion. My list would be quite different...but that does not make it right nor wrong...just different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, in addition to what you say, which is 100% correct, I suspect the Queen would not want to be included, just because she would not want Meghan to feel she had to include her. She probably did not want something personal written about her -- I doubt the exclusion of the Queen offends anyone in the RF. :) Just another poke at Meghan.

      Delete
    2. If she’d included the Queen people would criticize her for having the Queen share the cover with mere commoners and using the Queen for her “agenda”. She can’t win.

      Delete
  19. I agree with your comment 100% Sarah. It makes me despair too.

    All we can do is fight back as well as spreading the truth about Meghan and her work, and try to be the opposite of these hateful people.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great job! It speaks, it interests, and so, with this book, we can use it to express our admiration symbolically to those who inspire us. I’m going to buy several books, stick my grandmother and my mother’s pictures on the mirror frame and give them to them. What a brilliant idea this mirror. Bravo Meghan, had to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, this woman is on fire!!

    https://www.hellomagazine.com/fashion/royal-style/2019073075936/meghan-markle-partners-marks-and-spencer-workwear-collaboration/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Becca H in Colorado30 July 2019 at 23:15

    The fact that Meghan continues to show up and show up BIG, constantly putting the focus on her work and ignoring the absolutely frightening amount of negativity directed towards her just blows my mind. I was inspired by Meghan when I first started following her with the start of this blog, but now I consider her someone I aspire to emulate. WHY do so many make it their mission to tear her down??? I will never understand.

    This has been a banner year for Meghan, so far. Not only have we gotten a Meghan & Beyonce meeting, but now we have an interview with Michelle Obama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Becca H. And Sarah from NC.

      The antipathy of the UK tabloid and conservative press toward Meghan is well documented. Racism, lies and hate are powerful tools. History shows such stuff can bring down governments, disrupt economies, cause genocides, exploit people and lead them into wars.

      https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/07/30/britains-vicious-tabloids-meghan-remains-constant-target/

      If you check the by lines accompanying these UK anti-Meghan pieces and google these columnists-political pundits-media personalities (e.g. Sarah Vine, Pies Morgan, Katie Hopkins and many others), it’s clear why they see Meghan as muddying ‘their’ England - an England that is reduced to a simplistic Disneyesque kingdom than Shakespeare’s more historical and tortuous “other Eden”... before “That England that was wont to conquer others/ Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.” Ironic too because the English throne was all about importing various ‘foreigners’ to marry or reign.

      Besides all of their froth isn’t really because they care that much about royal protocols or whatever going-ons which got their knickers in a twist that day. It’s just that they care more about their easy money by hitting Meghan over and over and over. She’s an easy target (and by extension- Harry and Archie, a baby who even before he was born was subjected to all kinds of conspiracy theories as if the haters can delegitimize his existence). In truth, these tabloids don’t really want Meghan to go away as long as she makes them easy money and provides a terrific distraction from the chaos and harm their carefully, cultivated words have wrought.

      I don’t click on those sites. I read instead this blog and Michelle Obama’s answers to Meghan’s questions. That caps my day because that’s a world worth striving for.

      -Martine

      Delete
  23. Digital copies can also be purchased on the British Vogue app!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Caroline in Montana31 July 2019 at 17:04

    "When you only know someone by their public persona, all too often you find yourself disappointed by the reality. But, once in a while, someone comes along who exceeds all of your expectations. Let me say this for The Duchess of Sussex: she is the real deal – and an ultimate force for change. - Edward Enninful"

    What a wonderful beautiful comment, speaks volumes!! I hope she just keeps being herself and I really hope she does not read any tabloids. I may not always love her fashion or understand some choices (no big deal!) but as long as she is true to herself she cant go wrong!! cant wait for something else to come along so she can catch her breath and some spot light will fade.

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is a very inspiration issue i cant wait to get it i adore jane goodall and i find it interesting and forward thinking that harry was so blunt to say he would only have max 2 kids good for him he certainly is not conventional.

    thanks charlotte for all your hard work

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don’t know why it is so difficult to understand RACISM. It’s not new. It’s been around for centuries. People of color know it very well. The Duchess of Sussex is no novice to race issues. She’s of mixed race. She has shown a great deal
    of courage and strength. I hope she can continue to be herself and do her job even though she’s unfairly judged (prejudice). She’s taking a hit but a regulated game of baseball can be like life; 9 innings and overtime if you keep COMING TO BAT. So far, she KEEPS COMING TO BAT! Thanks, Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Charlotte, it is totally your call but is there a reason that we did not wake to a little Birthday issue of Mad About Meghan today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello USA Granny,

      I don't usually do dedicated birthday posts on the blogs. I started a post yesterday I'm hoping to finish now with news on Meghan's birthday. My parents are visiting which means it's a little late, but should be ready soon :)

      Delete

Welcome to Mad About Meghan! We do so look forward to reading your thoughts. Constructive, fair debate is always encouraged. Hateful, derogatory terms and insults are not welcome here. This space focuses on Harry and Meghan, not any other member of the Royal family. It's not the place to discuss politics either. Thank you for reading, we look forward to your comments :)