Monday 23 September 2019

The Sussexes Make Poignant District Six Museum Visit

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex visited District Six Museum to learn about their work reuniting community members forcibly relocated during the apartheid era.


Following a quick change and a break for lunch, they arrived at their engagement in the township of Nyanga. Harry and Meghan addressed gender violence, with the Duchess speaking about her own heritage and offering her support to the women of South Africa: "The work that’s being done here is to keep women and children safer, which is needed now more than ever. This is an issue that’s been at the forefront of people’s minds here in South Africa, and of course across the globe, particularly over this past month. And just on one personal note, may I just say that while I am here with my husband as a member of the Royal family, I want you to know that for me I am here with you as a mother, as a wife, as a woman, as a woman of colour and as your sister. I am here with you and I am here for you and I thank you so much for showing my husband and I the spirit of Ubuntu and I look forward to our time over the next few days together."


District Six Museum is located in an old Methodist Church in the former inner-city area of District Six. The museum opened its doors twenty-five years ago as a memorial to the forced movement of 60,000 people in the district during apartheid in South Africa in the 1970s.


More from the museum's website:

'The area known as District Six got its name from having been the Sixth Municipal District of Cape Town in 1867. Its earlier unofficial name was Kanaldorp, a name supposedly derived from the the series of canals running across the city, some of which had to be crossed in order to reach the District (kanaal is the Afrikaans for ‘canal’.) Over time, some people called District Six Kanaladorp, (kanala being derived from the Indonesian word for ‘please’), and its likely that the name stems from a fusion of the two meanings.
District Six before its destruction under Apartheid, was a community representative of diversity on a number of levels – language, religion, economic class, geographical area of origin – and became a living example of how diversity could a be a strengthening characteristic of a community and need not be feared. It was a vibrant community of freed slaves, merchants, artisans, labourers and immigrants, with close links to the city and the port.  It represented the polar opposite of what the Apartheid government, inaugurated by the National Party coming into power in 1948, needed people to believe and internalise.
District Six thus became one of the main urban targets for destruction in the city of Cape Town. On 11 February 1966 it was declared a white area under the Group Areas Act of 1950, and by 1982, the life of the community was over. More than 60 000 people were forcibly removed to barren outlying areas aptly known as the Cape Flats, and their houses in District Six were flattened by bulldozers.'

"In addition to being a space for ex-residents to gather and get involved in programmes, the museum has also become a space for telling the story of District Six to visitors from near and far. It has been designed in such a way that a visitor can wander in from off the street and go on a self-guided tour."


The museum's floor is covered with a map of the district and handwritten notes from former residents.


Signs from the apartheid era remain a shocking reminder of the atrocities committed.


The video below covers the couple's visit inside the museum live as it happened.


Director Bonita Bennett told reporter Victoria Murphy she hopes the royal visit will make more people want to come and hear the stories of District Six: “One always wants the story to be told much more broadly. I think it’s great in terms of reminding people of an important story. I think it will probably make an impact on people visiting from the UK and say ‘maybe this is a place we should visit'. I think that’s one of the aims of the visit. I think this will help to amplify that story and make it known on a broader level.”


From there, it was time for a walkabout. Let's just say Harry and Meghan received quite the welcome...


Harry was delighted to receive a painting of himself by artist Adrian Mallel. The Prince was so impressed he called Meghan over and she said she loved it. The artist told the couple: "We love what you do."



Town & Country reports:

'Ludwig Brink, 10, also caught Meghan’s eye and presented her with a bunch of Protea, the national flower of South Africa. “This was amazing—finally getting to meet her,” his mother Renee, from Cape Town, said. “She was lovely. I’m so happy that they’re here.”
Taya Lievenberg, five, gave Meghan a teddy. “I screamed my lungs out for my daughter, so that she would come over,” Taya's mother Tam, 41, said. “I am so overwhelmed that she did. She is one of my idols and a woman I really look up to.”

Emily Nash reports: "Harry and Meghan meet Somaya Ebrahim, 81, a former District Six resident, who was in the crowds when the Queen visited in 1947 with her parents and Princess Margaret. She asked them: 'Where’s Archie?' and was told 'he’s sleeping!'"



Harry told well-wishers Archie was "not grouchy but exhausted" from the flight. The couple hope to include him in an engagement at some point during the week.


Meghan greets the crowds.

Embed from Getty Images

Next, the Sussexes walked to the nearby homecoming centre for a cooking activity with former residents of District Six.


Harry and Meghan enjoyed sampling several dishes.

Embed from Getty Images

Cooking and connecting through food is very close to Meghan's heart.

Embed from Getty Images

She brought copies of Together: Our Community Cookbook for guests and exchanged them for local cookbooks.

Embed from Getty Images

Meghan receiving cookbooks.


Director Bonita Bennett told Vanity Fair:

"One of the highlights of the museum visit was the opportunity to sample local delicacies, such as a tomato casserole and porring, a pudding made from potato, cream and vanilla, which Harry and Meghan seemed to enjoy. “We wanted to give them a good experience of the music, the tastes, the smells of District 6, and it was a chance for them to meet some of the different generations from the area."

Harry and Meghan met former residents who discussed their experiences.


The Duchess brought back her gorgeous blue Veronica Beard Cary dress for the afternoon of engagements.


Readers will recall Meghan debuted the piece in Tonga last year and it was an instant favourite. The hue, cut and style makes it both a polished and versatile piece.


The $595 piece is described as: "An update to the classic shirt dress. Fine draping, functional patch pockets and a flattering tie-waist make our Cary Dress a wardrobe necessity." The dress is available in red in limited sizing at the Outnet.


Meghan wore her Castaner wedges from earlier today.


A closer look at Meghan's earrings.


Meghan did not wear her engagement or eternity rings today. Instead she wore a turquoise ring by Jennifer Meyer.
It's been a fantastic start to the tour. In case you missed any of it, click here to view today's earlier post covering Harry and Meghan's visit to the township of Nyanga. They both delivered stirring speeches, enjoyed a wonderful welcome from locals, a spot of dancing, and received a special gift for Archie.


Speaking of Archie, we saw a glimpse of the adorable little guy at the airport this morning. The brief post is here.


A look at tomorrow's schedule in Cape Town:

  • Harry and Meghan will travel to Monwabisi Beach to learn about Waves For Change, an NGO which trains and supports local surf mentors to provide mental health services. They will also see the work of the Lunchbox Fund, one of the charities they chose to benefit from donations in celebration of Archie's birth. 
  • Next, they will meet Dr Thomas Maes, leader of the Commonwealth Litter Programme launched at the London Commonwealth Summit in 2018, in support of the Commonwealth Blue Charter.
  • In the afternoon, the Duke and Duchess will visit the Bo Kaap area to mark Heritage Day, a celebration of great diversity, belief and traditions that make up the rainbow nation of South Africa. They will visit Auwal Mosque, the oldest mosque in the country where they will meet representatives of various faiths and discuss the strength of interfaith dialogue in Cape Town. Afterwards, local residents will host the royals for tea.
  •  Harry and Meghan will conclude the packed day with a reception at the British High Commissioner's Residence where they will meet young leaders and inspiring opinion-formers underpinning the rich and diverse nature of the UK's partnership with Africa.

What were your highlights from day one? For me, it was the speeches and seeing their interaction with all the people they met. It's very special to see their relationship with the Commonwealth building as their roles grow.


Hannah Furness aptly summed the day up in her Telegraph article: "This was history - and rousing history at that - in the making."

41 comments:

  1. They both look fantastic! This color of blue is great on Meghan.
    Thank you for your speedy posts, Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're already in full on tour mode, Charlotte -- thank you, as always, for your speedy and thorough coverage.

    I'm really glad to see Meghan recycle this dress. It's a great color on her and the breeziness of it fits those southern climates well. I'm hoping these kinds of choices will get credited in the media. I also can't wait to see the rest of her sartorial choices now that she's postpartum!

    There must be an incredible amount of concentration required for these engagements. I applaud H&M for always being so enthusiastic at each one, because my head would get so tired and require a nap were it me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Becca H 👏
      Just hearing all those camera clicks! Geezzz, I'd just give up. Tomorrow is even started to be more filled. Oh LORD give them strength and good success 😌
      Great work Charlotte btw

      Delete
  3. There is so much to see and read that I'm going to wait until the end and then read it all again. I have to note that Meghan looks just beautiful, as always. That teeny bit of postpartum weight makes her look sexier -- I have noticed that both she and Kate look so great when you watch a video of them rather than relying on still photos. I loved the morning's dress on her, but I am glad to see this beautiful dress return. Am especially looking forward to the cooking event later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish she would wear this color more. It’s so striking on her complexion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte, how do you do it so quickly? You get these posts up in record time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte I always marvel at your speed on these tours - well done!!!!

    Loved the first black and white ensemble. These wedges and the recycle dress do not work together. Period. Having said that she looks great and it's always nice to see a recycle.

    Others have commented that perhaps she will begin to get some positive coverage from the British media. I doubt it. There are 2 entities that do not profit from harmony: attorneys and the media.

    Here is to a fantastic, engaging tour and some great fashion watching along the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blue is her color and happiness is just oozing from them which could explain her gorgeous hair and glowing skin. I'm in love, but I swear not like this:( :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this dress last year, a tour favorite for me. I am delighted to see it again. She looks lovely in this style, so graceful and flattering to her. In the video she's fiddling with her hair, perhaps better served to leave it tied back in the heat. This is an important visit for them to make, sobering and needful. I remember the day this all changed for South Africa, and even the troubles since cannot wipe away the exultation we felt to know this hideous sin was ending.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn’t a huge fan of this dress last time around and it hasn’t grown on me. But that is fine, lots of other people seem to love it and I like the fact that she is repeating it.

    However I can never understand the point of changing such similar outfits between engagements. When I read that she changed, I thought maybe she needed something more formal for the second engagement, but the two dresses are basically interchangeable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on a limb here. But, I think it helps later with visually identifying days by outfits. Also, they are also there for the media, so an outfit change gives a bit more conversation. I noticed Harry seems to have changed clothes also, so I think it's good for them to change together. He was definitely a little more casual and added a jacket.

      Delete
    2. cidell, I agree that it's a good marker for events in the same day. In a way it shows a sign of respect that the couple acknowledges the difference between different events in the same day. It's not just one day that runs on & blurs together.

      Delete
    3. Same as Cidell - I like the dress better with the loose hair (for a more relaxed vibe) but it's not a fav. But I think that's good, as the museum visit wasn't overshadowed by a new dress - such a wonderful first day! Thanks for your incredible coverage Charlotte! -op

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for your wonderful coverage, Charlotte.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  11. ❤️Thumbs up on today’s activities ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's just so horrific that this incredibly beautiful and rich area was stolen from its rightful occupants. We all know the 20th-century history, but seeing it again brings back all the memories of the slowness of anyone to care. Human history is full of these acts, and they are continuing. Now violence toward women.

    I love Meghan with her hair simple and wearing blue or black -- I think she is not wearing her engagement ring because they want to emphasize that this is a working tour. No tiaras, etc. My favorite moments were M&H dancing (M being a bit better at it than H) and visiting the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison you put it so well. I remember my parents educating us as it was going on, but it all seemed so far away & hard to believe. Charlotte's very educational post makes it all very real & that much more disturbing!

      Delete
    2. Caroline in Montana24 September 2019 at 00:01

      Im confused, what does not wearing ones engagement ring have to do the emphasizing your serious about work?? big difference between a tiara and your engagement ring!!

      Delete
    3. In college I marched with fellow demonstrators against apartheid and USA support for that corrupt government in the early 1980s . . . SO GLAD when it ended. Hope for ongoing healing and improvement.

      Delete
  13. My beautiful Charlotte you are more than just a blogger, you are also a teacher because I am learning so much with you and thanks to the dynamic and enriching tours of Sussex. No doubt we have infinite respect for you and your work. I wish you success. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the excellent coverage, Charlotte! And congratulations on your blog header! 👍
    The highlights for me were H+M's speeches as well. It's great how happy the people are to see them! I'm so glad she repeated the blue dress, I loved it when she wore it last year on the tour.
    I didn't know about the shocking violence, the figures are ... horrible. It was heartbreaking to watch the video where the women share their fears - "Am I the next?"
    I hope the future will bring a change.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder why she’s not wearing her engagement ring? She looks really good in blue, I hope she wears lots of color this tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious about the ring as well - no harm or foul, just curious. -op

      Delete
    2. Anon, I was wondering if it makes it easier for her & keeps things more low key... as in not having her flashing jewels at very organic unpretentious events. Just a thought. In fact for me, I wear my wedding band everyday, but only my engagement ring for evening or appropriate times out. It might also be easier whilst shaking hands.

      Delete
    3. Suzanne in NE California23 September 2019 at 22:58

      She is wearing it. It’s just not a huge ring and she was holding her hands folded together in a lot of the pics. I see it clearly in the one where she’s talking to a woman about cookbooks, wearing the blue dress, and in the one holding a framed picture and wearing the black and white dress.

      Delete
    4. She is most definitely not wearing her diamond ring.

      She is wearing her wedding band (made of Welsh gold) along with a small turquoise ring.

      Suz

      Delete
  16. Royal 👑 Watcher23 September 2019 at 22:52

    I am really happy to see a repeat, and it is a lovely dress too. All the high couture clothes get to me a bit, but both the dresses from yesterday and today I love. Coming to district 6 as a mixed race couple from the Royal Family would hopefully mend some of the past horrors, at least I very much hope so. Much love to Harry and Meghan, they look so happy to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this tour and the blue on meghan

    Was lovely to see Harry be so happy over the painting I wish we could see what it looked like!

    Thanks Charlotte for great post

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great coverage - so very informative! Thank you.
    Both are so natural amongst people! And I feel the clothing choices are made because of senitivity about the poverty of people they visited. And especially the engagement ring missing. My feeling is that the SA mines had all been run by"white" man, and colored people ruining their health and lives in the mines ...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think Meghan is wearing her diamond rings. I got the impression that she wasn't wearing her engagement ring, but after reading the back and forth about it in the comments, I thought I would take a closer look. In the picture of Meghan eating what looked like a fried roll, she is wearing her wedding band and another thin gold band with what looks like a tiny turqouise stone, not the eternity ring. Now I'm curious about that second gold band!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Charlotte! You have really outdone yourself! These posts are so informative! Thanks so much for all your hard work and the many pictures:) We have a fun 9 days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Blue looks lovely on the Duchess of Sussex. The Duke and Duchess have received such a warm exciting welcome to Africa. District 6, I would really enjoy a visit. Thanks, Charlotte for another exciting post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. She looks beautiful. One thing I will never get though is how a dress that is 100% polyester can be $600...

    ReplyDelete
  23. GREAT tour coverage, Charlotte, as expected! This is such fun to see them here and see what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Charlotte, great start with day 1. The time zone for the tour hopefully is easier on you then when they are somewhere else. Great job.

    I'm so happy to see a repeat on day 1. This dress is simply beautiful, the color, the flow, etc. I think it' great that she wore the same espadrilles. I suspect we'll see baby Archie on day three. Any other guesses? And then three outfits tomorrow?

    Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is what I like with the Sussex discover places that make you want to know more I did not know at all the district six thank you also Charlotte for all this info. Regarding the outfits I loved that of Nyanga and the story that goes with it and this blue dress suits her even better I think. I read somewhere that she wanted to be discreet with her toilet and jewelry.can't wait to start this 2nd day

    ReplyDelete
  26. Meghan his adorable and highlighting important causes. Visiting District 6 is significant especial with Xenophobic attacks bin South Africa, it's a reminder for everyone to make sure the evilness of apartheid is not repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Where is her engagement ring 😥

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Mad About Meghan! We do so look forward to reading your thoughts. Constructive, fair debate is always encouraged. Hateful, derogatory terms and insults are not welcome here. This space focuses on Harry and Meghan, not any other member of the Royal family. It's not the place to discuss politics either. Thank you for reading, we look forward to your comments :)