It's been a rather chaotic period in royal watching with a deluge of misinformation dominating news coverage. Today, we finally had an official update on Harry and Meghan's plans for engagements in the UK and future plans for the couple. BP confirmed the Sussexes transition will take shape on 31 March with their office at Buckingham Palace closing. From there, they will be represented in the United Kingdom by their new foundation office. As previously announced there will be a review in twelve months time to ensure the new arrangement works for all parties.
Both the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will attend the Mountbatten Festival of Music on Saturday, 7 March. The Festival sees the Royal Marines showcase their incredible musicianship and pageantry and features a wide range of musical styles, including music from the big screen and superb solo items, as well as the traditional marches and overtures that have proved such a hit with audiences over the years. The couple will attend due to Harry's position as Captain General Royal Marines, which was passed down from Prince Philip. There were stories suggesting Princess Anne would take on the role, it now seems no final decisions have been made yet.
With that, we have an update on Harry's military roles.
On Monday, 9 March, the Duke and Duchess will join the Queen and other members of the royal family for the annual Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey.
A palace spokesperson said they will return to the UK "regularly" over the remainder of the year for patronages, other commitments, meetings and I imagine visits associated with their philanthropic vehicle. Looking ahead, the Invictus Games will take place in The Hague from May 9-16, we'll see Harry and Meghan (and hopefully Archie) there.
More from Carolyn Durand:
The use of Sussex Royal has been one of the most debated topics in recent weeks. At this point it is "under review" with the final decision not expected to be announced until the launch of the foundation. I know initially it was due to launch in early April, though a name change would delay this until later this year. As this is very much uncharted territory, it's all going to take time. It's very much a case of waiting for official announcements. Should there be a change, and I imagine there very well could be, plans for that are likely already underway behind-the-scenes.
As previously announced, Harry and Meghan intend to continue working with their patronages in the UK. The National Theatre's director Rufus Norris spoke to The Telegraph about Meghan and recent rumours only yesterday:
The Duchess of Sussex has promised the National Theatre her work as patron will be "business as usual", its Artistic Director has said, as he disclosed they are exploring projects to use her "star reach" for good.
Describing reports that executives were left "fuming" at the revelation their royal patron would be leaving Britain to build a new life in North America as "total fiction".
"From our perspective, I don’t think it's going to change anything. She is still very engaged, the conversations are regular and ongoing, there are ideas we are exploring. There has been no indication at all from her that her engagement with us would be anything other than business as usual – she has proven to be a very engaged patron, and we look forward to working with her.
"She has star reach, she understands the nature of what we’re trying to do. She has been interested in the learning work, the work in communities, the work around the country. She’s less interested in coming here and going to a string of press nights. It's a really in-depth engagement with the range of work we do."
Last night, a royal source confirmed that there are provisional plans for a "much more substantive project" to come.'
The couple are expected to have a number of meetings with their patronages during their return. Omid Scobie also reports "It’s confirmed that the couple will retain their other titles of The Earl and Countess of Dumbarton and The Baron & Baroness Kilkeel."