Tuesday 13 October 2020

Meghan's Fortune Summit Conversation: "How Can I Make This a Better World for Archie?"

The Duchess of Sussex discussed leading with your values, turning words into actions and chasing convictions with Fortune editor Emily Hinchliffe as part of Fortune's Most Powerful Women Next Gen Summit. Meghan spoke about motherhood when asked how it has changed her. "It's interesting because my gut is that it makes you more courageous. It makes you so concerned for the world they're going to inherit, and so the things that you're able to tolerate on your own are not the same. For you go every single day, how can I make this better for him, how can I make this world better for Archie? And that is a shared belief between my husband and I." Meghan continued: "As a parent I can enjoy all the fun and silliness and games with my son, but I wouldn't be able to feel proud of myself as a mom if I didn't know that I wasn't doing my part to make it a better place for him." Meghan echoed words she shared with 

Speaking about social media, Meghan said: "For my own self-preservation, I have not been on social media for a very long time. I made a personal choice to not have any account, so I don’t know what’s out there, and in many ways that’s helpful for me."

Meghan continued: "I have a lot of concerns for people that have become obsessed with it. People who are addicted to drugs are called users and people who are on social media are called users. There is something in there, algorithmically, that is creating this obsession."

Meghan said she tries to be "very clear with what I say and to not make it controversial, but instead to talk about things that seem fairly straightforward, like exercising your right to vote".

The Hill reports:

'Asked by Fortune's Emma Hinchliffe about her support of the Black Lives Matter movement and how she was once "more limited" in what she was able to talk about, Markle replied, "I think there's an incredible opportunity for everyone to recognize that your voice matters. And I think you realize it more when you're not able to exercise it."

"So regardless of my experience over the last few years compared to anyone's experience, you can't take for granted the ability you have as a woman to be able to be heard," added the former actress and mom to 1-year-old Archie.'

Speaking about the past year, Meghan said: "It's not easy. Sometimes making the best decision for yourself and your family might not be the most popular one. But when you really know who you are and you know what your belief system is, and you live by truth, that can start to peel away the layers of where the fear comes in. One of the things I've continued to tell myself for a long time is my faith is greater than my fear". As for 2021 and plans for the future, the Duchess said she's "excited to be back home" and looking forward to "engaging and interacting with people with boots on the ground".


More on the summit which focuses on Rising to the New Reality:

'If 2020 has shown us one thing, it is the need for change. Change in how we lead, how we conduct business, and how we empathize with each other. Many of us are left wondering how to embrace this time of profound development to become our best selves, both professionally and personally.

Speakers confirmed to join us for the virtual Summit include Celmatix CEO Piraye Beim; Chelsea Clinton, who will be moderating an important panel on Vaccine Hesitancy; Everlywell CMO Jenifer Dasho; Skillshare CMO Liana Douillet Guzmán; HBS Professor Frances Frei;  Cleo Capital Managing Director Sarah Kunst; Peloton’s Ally Love; Momofuku CEO Marguerite Mariscal; Sam’s Club CEO Kathryn McLay; 2020 Fund Co-founder Steph Mui; Boulder Care Founder and CEO Stephanie Papes; Zoom CMO Janine Pelosi; Ring President Leila Rouhi; Operator Collective Partner Leyla Seka; California First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom; Stitch Fix President Elizabeth Spaulding; Farmgirl Flowers Founder Christina Stembel;  fashion icon Diane von Furstenberg along with designer (and her granddaughter) Talita von Furstenberg; Inspired Capital Founder Alexa von Tobel and many more accomplished and inspirational women.'

Last month, the Duchess joined Fortune's MPW Summit in conversation with Ellen McGirt, focusing on shaping online communities. In response to a question praising her efforts to "bring things forward" as a woman who had "powerful people, a sitting president and powerful forces" trying to take her down, Meghan said it's important "to be authentic". She added: "If you look back at anything I’ve said, it's really interesting. What ends up being inflammatory is people’s interpretation of it. But if you listen to what I actually say it’s not controversial. We are all going through a reset and we are all going through a moment of reckoning and probably a reevaluation of what really matters. For me, it's been amazing to spend time with my husband and watch our little one grow -- and that's where our attention has been. In addition to, of course, how we can be a part of the change of energy that so many people are craving right now and whatever we can do to help in that capacity." The conversation hit on salient points and garnered a global reaction. They were obviously eager to speak with Meghan again -- for an audience of rising women leaders.


The Duchess wore a blue and white print dress from Hope for Flowers by Tracy Reese. The sold out piece is from the Spring 2020 collection. The New York based designer has previously created pieces for Michelle Obama and Oprah. 


Meghan's earrings are the Cuyana Luna Ear Jacket earrings. Described as "Inspired by our signature gold dot and geometric shapes, our Luna Jacket Earrings earrings are just as versatile as they are sophisticated. A three-piece system designed to be worn in a myriad of ways, these earrings give you options." (A great find by Susan from What Meghan Wore). They retail for $195 on the Cuyana website.

*************

There are also several updates on items the Duchess has worn including her most recent looks. Thanks to an additional photo shared by Teenager Therapy (terrific to see the important conversation on mental health has surpassed 1 million views on YouTube alone), we can see Meghan teamed her R.B.G. t-shirt and face mask in honour of Ruth Bader Ginsburg with a stripe cardigan and a stylish pair of crop jeans by FRAME (with thanks to Stefarnia).

Described as: "FRAME's 'Le Garcon' jeans are made from dark-blue denim that's gently faded and distressed for a perfectly worn-in effect. Blended with a hint of stretch, they have a classic five-pocket construction and slim boyfriend silhouette." They retail for $220 at Net-A-Porter and Nordstrom.

It very much appears Meghan's cardigan is the J Crew cardigan sweater in navy stripe (with many thanks to Laura).

And for Harry and Meghan's conversation with Malala, Susan from What Meghan Wore notes the Duchess wore her Tuxe turtleneck Renegade Bodysuit from the Together cookbook launch.

Finally, the sweater Meghan wore for a date night with Harry has been identified as Cuyana's Wool Cashmere Slim Crewneck in camel (with thanks to Meghan's Mirror).

On most occasions recently, Meghan wore her Cartier Tank watch which is believed to have belonged to Princess Diana.

25 comments:

  1. Becca in Colorado14 October 2020 at 00:38

    I admire Meghan’s eloquence — it certainly mustn’t be easy to answer those questions (that everyone is naturally curious to know) about her experiences in the royal family, treading the line between authenticity and respect for the institution. It does feel as though these interviews have been cathartic for Meghan, in a way, as she’s able to get a bit of her side of the story out there. I hope she (and Harry) will be able to move on from those stories in a healthy way at some point. I would imagine they’ve both had a good therapist to help them through all the trauma and stress of the last several years.

    It’s nice to see Meghan back in her element. Part of me wished she’d reopen a version of the Tig, even though it was unlikely to happen. I feel bad that she’s gone through so much crap, as her old Instagram always felt carefree and fun to me. I wonder if she misses those days? I know she wouldn’t give up Harry or Archie for the world, I just wonder if she would have gone the route of reopening social media accounts (in some fashion) had she not been so lambasted online the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I hear Meghan speak, I'm always struck by how articulate and passionate she is. She looks wonderful. Motherhood really suits her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. meghan looks beautiful here thanks for posting Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meghan knows that everything she says or does Will be misinterpreted and torn apart,but her faith, her self confidence , her bravery in standing up and speaking out despite the repercussions she knows she 'll receive, is awesome. Bravo Duchess.Stand strong and positive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is the best ✌✌❤❤��

    ReplyDelete
  6. One complaint, and I noticed that Harry, William, etc do this, so please tell me if this is UK usage: "... my husband and I." "I" should be "me." I just go to pieces when Harry says it, but now Meghan!! Other than that, she looks like a happy gorgeous 20-something, and she sounds so happy. Wonder if she'll ever step in the UK again, poor thing. I love her boho batik top/dress, and I love their frequent events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the U.K. it will be my husband and I. We are taught to start the sentence mentally without the opening noun and see how the sentence flows. So getting rid of the my husband" . So my husband and I- would be "I ...." and my husband and me- "me..... So from that perspective I flows better than "me... Hope that makes sense.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. If you take out the word "husband", would you still say "me" in the sentence? No, it would be "I". She spoke correctly.

      Delete
    4. I should have clarified -- her sentence had "husband and I" at the end. Please see my response to USA Granny.

      Delete
    5. Her sentence "And that is a shared belief between my husband and I" should have been "And that is a shared belief between my husband and myself." You all know I am a Meghan defender against EVERYTHING, so this is not criticism -- just surprise. Maybe Harry has rubbed off on her. :)

      Delete
    6. The answer to this conundrum is "it depends". If we all go back in our minds to grammar class, the correct/incorrect use of "I" or "me" depends on whether it is being used as a 'subject' of the sentence or the 'object' of a verb or preposition. Using the trick of removing the other person from the sentence as mentioned above, there are two possibilities. If you are saying something like "My husband and I travelled to Paris" then "me" would not be correct because it doesn't sound right to say "Me travelled to Paris". However, if you are thinking of saying something such as "They threw the ball at my husband and I", then that would be an incorrect time to say "I", and "me" should be used instead because you would say "They threw the ball at me" not "They threw the ball at I". If you apply that rule, then in the quote at the beginning of this post, Meghan should have said "between my husband and me" because "me" is the object of the preposition "between". All that grammar aside, it is great to see Meghan and Harry feeling free to speak about issues that are important to them!

      Delete
    7. Thanks Sask Reader...you've explained it accurately and with examples.I've been too busy to comment lately, but this discussion has been on my mind. TBH I've heard Meghan use it incorrectly before, albeit not nearly as often as Harry. One person I explained this to before elsewhere said, "but *I* just sounds better,more polite." * sigh*

      Delete
    8. Please note that grammar slowly validates common usage.

      Delete
  7. I find Meghan's words and message always interesting especially because of the manner in which she speaks. Interesting Allison, I am a US citizen educated in the US and I like everyone I know says husband and I. I believe the rule is "I" when used as the subject in the sentence and "me" when the object of the sentence. Then again, the difference between the subject and object may be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is used in, for example, "She brought cookies to Harry and me." You use "me" and can check that because when you delete "and Harry," it is obvious that you would not say "She brought cookies to I." You would, though, say "My husband and I went to the movies," like you would say "I went to the movies."

      Delete
  8. The dress worn here (scrolling necessary): https://hopeforflowers.com/pages/summer-2020

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She looks amazing! I am very happy for her and prince Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well i love the duchess speaking in her own and i love seeing her doing thing and carefree life i know she enjoying and be back on her own element and yes the duchess of sussex is correct about social media yes social media have a bad reputation too people can judge you and valitate you but for me social media if you have you have to br responsible on your own thing and and be think before commenting i asked my hubby about his view on social media im surpise what he told me he said when we are traveling i ussually love taking pictures on trips he said to me why are youul taking picture instead of enjoying the view take time to relax he telling me to take time off my camera and laptop so now im better with and i limit my time social media

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Charlotte, for keeping us posted on all things Meghan. She looks beautiful and is so impressive in each appearance. Her presence brings great publicity to each cause.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Bluefire - your hubby is a very wise man, and you were smart to take his advice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Charlotte,

    browsing Instagram last night, I found a blog on Meghan's sartorial choices and something of interest. Back at the realise of Together cookbook she wore many stacking rings. One of them was confirmed by the brand, it is the Crossed Rope Ring of Vargas Goteo Jewelry, retailed for USD 180. Just thought you may be interested. :)
    I must say, the topics she recently discussed resonate very well with me, thanks for the coverage as always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan in Florida16 October 2020 at 21:36

    Here we were , worried that this blog would stop and we wouldn’t hear about H&M after they left the RF . Charlotte, you are doing great with covering them in a very fair way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The watch she wears did not belong to Diana. M bought that watch while she was in Canada for herself.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Mad About Meghan! We do so look forward to reading your thoughts. Constructive, fair debate is always encouraged. Hateful, derogatory terms and insults are not welcome here. This space focuses on Harry and Meghan, not any other member of the Royal family. It's not the place to discuss politics either. Thank you for reading, we look forward to your comments :)