Wednesday 18 March 2020

The Sussexes Call for "a Digital Neighourhood" Amid COVID-19

Since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex returned to Canada last week the world has changed immeasurably for all of us. We expected we would next hear from Harry and Meghan in the coming weeks in relation to their future plans, instead they had an update of a very different kind to share today in relation to the current COVID-19 crisis.


The full message from Sussex Royal:

'These are uncertain times. And now, more than ever, we need each other. We need each other for truth, for support, and to feel less alone during a time that can honestly feel quite scary.
There are so many around the world who need support right now, who are working tirelessly to respond to this crisis behind the scenes, on the frontline, or at home. Our willingness, as a people, to step up in the face of what we are all experiencing with COVID-19 is awe-inspiring. This moment is as true a testament there is to the human spirit.
We often speak of compassion. All of our lives are in some way affected by this, uniting each of us globally. How we approach each other and our communities with empathy and kindness is indisputably important right now.
Over the coming weeks, this will be our guiding principle.
We will be sharing information and resources to help all of us navigate the uncertainty: from posting accurate information and facts from trusted experts, to learning about measures we can take to keep ourselves and our families healthy, to working with organisations that can support our mental and emotional well-being.
In addition, we will focus on the inspiring stories of how so many of you around the world are connecting in ways big and small to lift all of us up.
We are all in this together, and as a global community we can support each other through this process – and build a digital neighbourhood that feels safe for every one of us.
We look forward to sharing more over the days and weeks to come...'

I've been thinking of our readers all over the world every day since this began, particularly those in countries like Italy, China and Spain who have endured such a heartbreaking time. I hope and pray you're all safe, well and following all possible precautions. It's a worrying time for so many of us especially those with loved ones at risk. As the Sussexes said in their post "we're all in this together". It is so important to hold on to that and remember as we face the weeks and months ahead.

I know we're all thinking of those on the front lines of this, those caring for those most vulnerable and already unwell battling other illnesses, and everyone who has sadly lost a loved one. It is vital to trust in official news channels and not to become overwhelmed by social media where misinformation is being spread every single second. It's also essential to focus on what we can do and the positive impact of social channels by reaching out to family and those in the community who may just need someone to ask "Are you OK?". A phone call or message can mean so much right now.

As indicated by Sussex Royal, they will be sharing updates and reliable information in the days and weeks ahead. I imagine the virus will at least temporarily postpone plans for coming announcements regarding their charitable entity and plans for the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Invictus games rescheduled until later this year, and the cancellation of events in the UK they were expected to attend including Trooping the Colour. I expect we may see them utilizing their Instagram platform regularly. This blog will continue to provide a space for following the couple and hopefully a welcome distraction from the unwanted elephant in every room. Switching off from the constant news cycle and taking a breather will be helpful as we move through the days and weeks ahead. Let me know what type of posts you would enjoy reading. Recaps? More fashion and style related posts? Perhaps following Harry and Meghan in sharing positive news?


I said on my other blog, I strongly feel this is an opportunity for the royal community, now so divisive, to come together again. The comments of late are veering away from Harry and Meghan's work and more toward a focus on possible feuds within the Royal family. Let's focus on what's important and make this an enjoyable space for all readers.

I'll talk to you soon, and in the meantime stay safe and look after one another.

34 comments:

  1. I liked your last paragraph and it is what we need to begun to do. Share more positive things and thoughts about H&M and BRF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. The reason I follow this blog is because of its positive presentation of the work that H&M and W&K do. The fashion stuff is peripheral for me and this is from someone who worked as a costume designer. I am interested in all their efforts, particularly in the mental health field. Please do keep us linked to their efforts as we all go through this. HUgs

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your words, Charlotte. We all need to look out after one another. Phone calls and personal connections are so important right now. Personally I would love some fashion and style-related posts on the blog. Maybe a post that covers all of Meghan's fabulous handbags or something. It may sound silly, but right now it makes me happy to think about and look at beautiful things amidst everything going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph from Canberra19 March 2020 at 02:47

      Not silly at all!

      Delete
  3. Susan in Florida18 March 2020 at 22:34

    Everyone stay safe and do everything you are supposed to , we are in it together. I love the stories of Italians singing to their neighbors, and people being kinder, teachers posting online links to help parents , the arts organizations offering free online performances , zoos and museums with virtual tours. We are finding ways to use the internet for the good it was supposed to bring about. Charlotte , thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte – I had been wishing that you post their supportive message. It is such a pleasant surprise to find that you have this post. It is not all of us who have Instagram account. Your own input and support is much appreciated. You and the Sussex had said it well. I share the same thoughts, appreciation, concern and care for all.

    You asked, “Perhaps following Harry and Meghan in sharing positive news?” I vote number # for reading news of their activities, and/or “good news” on this blog. Recap followed by style, or sprinkle it the way you find it necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes^. Thanks for this post Charlotte - hope everyone is all right. -op

      Delete
  5. Thank you Charlotte. Stay well and safe and thank you for sharing such needed words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, I do remember Meghan's "first" handbags when she moved to the UK and I had continual handbag envy! Also, she has slipped in a number of little rings and bracelets over the past few years -- that might be harder to round up. It looks like the UK is taking the danger of close contact seriously now. We were so lucky to have had the Sussexes' last week, although it would have been wise to not have those events, I'm afraid. Because of all the negative things we read, I always like to take the positive ones on the assumption they may be true -- have been reading that the Sussexes (all three) will visit the Queen at Balmoral this summer. That sounds like a great plan and hope it's true and that it can come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree--I'd love to see a round up of her more subtle jewelry (more fitting for most of us) rather than her show-stoppers. I have loved all of the dainty pieces Meghan wears and layers together, as well as the deeply personal meanings behind them. I also would love a recap of those brands. I've become a huge fan of Missoma and Edge of Ember because of her. They have a lot of jewelry that I find meaningful as well.

      Charlotte, thank you for all you have done and will continue to do to lift our spirits in these hard times. Here in Chicago, we are now sheltering in place. Unfortunately, I have to go to the hospital daily for a non-COVID medical situation and to see how this is impacting healthcare workers and those who were ill long before coronavirus is really depressing and alarming (in addition to those suffering directly from the virus). I am so grateful to the nurses, doctors, office staff, phlebotomists, pharmacists, and technicians who are keeping us safe at great personal risk. I make a point to look them each in the eye and thank them for being there but that is a small drop compared to what they are giving me. I'm thinking about bringing hand-written thank-you notes with me to future appointments (inspired by Meghan herself, as well as my Southern mother :).
      -Stephanie

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Charlotte. I appreciate you very much.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you, Rachel. Thinking and reading and seeing beautiful things is a nice distraction right now. And thanks for the reminder to reach out to friends and family any way we can and take care of each other. Stay safe and healthy fellow commenters! You are all in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicole from France19 March 2020 at 07:36

    Thank you Charlotte for beeing there and keep safe ! and I wish all of you who follow charlotte’s blogs a strong mind and a good health , keeping in positive spirits despite all the negative news . The future does not look easy , a lot of us will have to fight long after the medical issues are gone , for their jobs , I hope to be of any help I can around me , and I know we all do !
    I am not surprised M & H felt they needed to send a message , I am sure they already work on how they can help , not only in words .
    Rachel’s idea about some fashion posts is really good, as serious as we need to be about the situation , we need lighter thoughts and that sort of posts would bring us back to sweet moments ....
    thank you Charlotte for using that gorgeous photo of the couple, another appropriate one , IMO , would be th beautifull,photo of Meghan and Harry under an umbrella with hundreds of raindrops around them .. lovely symbol, isn’it ?
    Keep safe all of you !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for that! I love reading through both this blog as well as yours on Duchess Kate. I agree with Ana74-- I would love to see some positive news from Meghan and Harry. In addition, I would also enjoy some recommendations on biographies or movies on the royals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be fun to see some of Meghan's preengagement fashions, too. One of my favorite posts was when they visited Charles at that special castle -- I love all the castle details. Allison in US

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your post Charlotte. I think the Sussex post was a good thing, and I'm seeing it talked about in various other media. I don't know if you have already done some work on this during your early days of this blog, but Meghan's pre-Harry charity and philanthropy was quite impressive, I think. Could you do a little retrospective on that? I know it's asking a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope everyone in the royal family is well. They were all probably exposed to the virus during the last few weeks of events.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Charlotte,

    Prince Harry has just posted a video on Invictus Games Foundation youtube page about the games 2020 being rescheduled.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this latest news - it's always lovely to read your posts. Stay well, dear Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Becca in Colorado20 March 2020 at 15:58

    I hope everyone is safe and well! Like so many, we're self-isolating and are expected to work remotely for the next 50 days or so.

    I love reading about Meghan's pre-Duchess days, since I didn't know of her while the Tig was still running. I also always like the fashion comparisons for events that Meghan has attended annually...although, I know that's more difficult for Meghan than for Kate since Meghan is still so new to the RF.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I’m grateful that we all got in one last week with them live. So strange to see the pictures from March 10, just 10 days ago. How different the world was such a short time ago. Think of Meghan in the crowd of students or the commonwealth ceremony, none of that could have happened.
    -Duch

    ReplyDelete
  18. Charlotte I posted on your other blog but as a US ER doctor I ask readers to donate unused N95 masks, unused reusable respirators or filters. Colleagues are running out. I was reusing one N95 for an entire ER shift. Please donate any supplies to your local hospital or contact me or I can give Charlotte an address a friend is coordinating donations in the US.

    Beth Warren DO, Emergency Medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Beth W
      Thank you for the heroic professional work you and your colleagues are doing. If I had any of the supplies you ask for, I would gladly send them. And I am so very sorry that you are not simply given the personal protective equipment which you need for your safety.
      I’m at a loss for words.
      Renee

      Delete
    2. My friend's daughter works as an MA at a cancer center and they have almost no masks left. :(

      Delete
  19. Their updated messages continue to post on sussexroyal.com ( if no Instagram account, just click the bottom icon on their home page to access their Instagram posts posts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi again :) I posted above to second Allison's idea of Meghan's smaller jewelry, but I'd also love a recap of some of her go to fashion looks by theme (i.e., trench necklines, wrap coats, shirt dresses, button-down shirts, blazers). One of the things I like about Meghan is that she has a definite, go-to style and palette but with subtle variations to keep it interesting. That's something I'm personally working to build in my own wardrobe and would love to see those types of items grouped together if that is something others are interested in as well.

    Thank you for poling the group and for being willing to keep us occupied, Charlotte! -Stephanie, Chicago, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte! I tried to post a comment several times but I think my iOS dislikes Blogspot's comments platform (oh no!).

      I agree with Stephanie's suggestions of an in-depth series on Meghan's style and fashion. I'm really interested in how her style will evolve over the future, as she perhaps finds more freedom to return to more casual looks? I think there is a smart way to approach forecasting her smart casual wear as well (Tom & Lorenzo came in hard with smart analysis about her crinkled terracotta Preen dress).

      I'd love to also incorporate jewelry into the mix. How about a post on her wardrobe of charms and apotropaic symbols, from motifs like the hamsa the evil eye to protective materials, like turquoise and crystal? (I believe there's a LOT of fodder here, especially looking to the charms article in the Vogue "Forces for Change" issue).

      Thanks so much for keeping it positive. Not all of your fellow royal watchers are baying for internecine blood. If anything, the COVID-19 crisis underscores most people's wish to support one another. <3 Stay safe, please, Charlotte! All the best to you and your family (both real and virtual!).

      Delete
  21. I would love to know about Meghan’s pre-royal days, especially when she was writing the Tig. If you are able to find about the type of content she wrote about and even pics she posted (maybe even from her IG?). Thanks Charlotte for all your hard work, especially during this trying time. Anon in CA

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for such a lovely post Charlotte! You are a wonderful voice for calm and reason in what feels like such a turbulent time.

    While all that's been going on has been doing a number on my anxiety, I'm choosing to be inspired by the Duchess, taking time for meditation, watching what I eat even though I so want carbs and chocolate, reading inspiring books and articles that remind me that all my thoughts and emotions are temporary and that I can choose to lean into the negative or lean into the positive.

    On a lighter note, I'd love to see posts about Meghan's jewelry, her handbags and accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Charlotte your posts are always so kind and grounded. Thank you. Here’s to kindness and empathy. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’ Carrie V.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really enjoy reading your blog. The content is always informative and fair.

    ReplyDelete
  25. To Charlotte
    Thank you for including this very telling picture of Harry and Meghan: they lovingly hold each other up
    with their eyes, their hands and their being.
    So poignant, especially given all that was swirling around them at that time.
    Wishing them and you health and peace.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  26. We are wholeheartedly with you CharlotteπŸ’“.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Test of the human spirit......we are in it together. Thanks, Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Mad About Meghan! We do so look forward to reading your thoughts. Constructive, fair debate is always encouraged. Hateful, derogatory terms and insults are not welcome here. This space focuses on Harry and Meghan, not any other member of the Royal family. It's not the place to discuss politics either. Thank you for reading, we look forward to your comments :)